Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 November 2010

One Body -- One Lord

Ok, so I grew up obese. The science tells me that this increases my chances of staying obese, even if I lose the fat for 'x' amount of time. This means,I am inevitably going to get fat again and struggle to lose it again and the vicious cycle will repeat over and over again. So,why bother? I might as well just 'give in' and eat whatever I want and just relax and not keep trying to get all this recommended blasted exercise in. Why can't I just be happy the way I am?

Because it would be wrong. It would be succumbing to the human condition. Because it wouldn't be being true to myself. More importantly, it would be turning my face away from God and His Love for me. God created me with this most beautiful body and I love Him for that. I'm thankful for that. Because my parents, out of genuine ignorance and misguided love, raised me to become obese, doesn't mean I have to continue the ignorance and misguided love. The Lord has led me to the truth about how to better nourish my body and I can do no other but follow and OBEY Him. In eating healthy and committing to regular exercise and to work for others,in my field, in whatever jobs I get or have ever done, I actually seek to obey God's greatest commandments --

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbour as yourself' Matthew 22: 37-39

You see, getting up each day and living a healthy lifestyle is, for me, giving glory to God. Of course, I falter and relapse -- but I will never stop seeking to live His Plan for me and my body. Of course, I don't have the perfect body, even though I'm a committed Christian and pray for this blessing to be bestowed upon me. But, I must keep working at keeping my heart open to His will and disciplining myself to live His truth. That's all I ever wanted -- as far back as I can remember when I first opened my heart to God -- I think I was about 7 or 8 years old. It's EXTREMELY difficult for me, but it is through my trial that I have gotten to know God and CONTINUE to get to know God better and better and become even closer to Him, as my life goes on.

The other day, I read something that Mark Nepo, one of my favorite poets, wrote. Mark is a brain tumor survivor who has come to know and love God, deeply, through his trial. Mark wrote:

'We are not responsible for all that befalls us,only for how we receive it and for how we hold each other up along the way.'

So, for me, that's what it's about -- receiving my cup with a grateful heart and offering it up in as best a way as I can to the glory of God. And, serving others who I can 'hold up' in whatever ways I can -- again to share His Truth, His Way, His Love.

And, I am ALWAYS amazed at how, through the trial and the struggles and just when I'm about to succumb and say 'nah, I'm just going to eat what I want and forget about all this exercising and fitness stuff', God blesses me!

Not too long ago, I was in the gym, much to my chagrin, doing the step machine. I detest this exercise, but it's one of the most effective for my body. One of the personal trainers, who has an utterly perfect body, came up to me. Now, by NO means, do I have a body that looks fit and trim and 'buff', but she told me that she couldn't help but come over to tell me how fantastic I looked. She said that she often would see me on the machines, lifting weights, often race-walking outside and doing all kinds of different movements and that I radiated such a healthy, fit glow and that 'there was something about me that draws people to me'. She wanted to know my 'secret' -- how I looked so good!!!!!
She said she had asked around about me and the other personal trainers told her I was a dietitian and that, it was probably that I ate healthy. So, she wanted me to tell her EXACTLY what I eat and drink. Needless to say, I was so taken aback and felt so humbled. At that moment she asked -- in my mind, heart, and soul, came the words -- 'I eat of His Body and drink of His cup'. I actually wanted to shout this out to her and jump up on top of one of the bench presses and scream it out to EVERYONE working out! But, of course, I didn't do that. But, instead of FIRST telling her what and how I eat when I'm striving to eat healthy and follow all the 'state of the art' nutritional guidelines and studies and recommendations and what shops and farm markets sell this and that -- I simply FIRST shared with her that what I HOPED she saw radiating in me is my love of Jesus Christ and what it looks like when one is obeying His Word and living life as Christ would be living today on this earth with all that's 'out there' and around us. She and I have such a wonderful relationship now, as she shows me all the best and most effective exercises for me and I share with her everything she needs to know to nourish her body optimally. She had very bad skin, but she now includes several potent sources of Vitamin A in her daily diet and her skin has cleared up. AND, we talk about our walk with Christ and lift one another up as we strive to follow His Plan for each of us.

God loves me SO much that it has spilled over into me loving myself, too, and loving my neighbour as myself. So,I AM happy the way I am -- but I see myself through God's eyes -- THAT'S who I am! I seek to obey His Word, through His Body and Blood, which has made me whole, and healthy, and beautiful in His Eyes. I want to be and shine THAT for Him and for all the world to see!

No comments: