Total Pageviews

Tuesday 26 October 2010

The Peace Of Wild Things by Wendell Berry

Autumn, also, is a great time to get out and take a walk. Perhaps you haven't been exercising and taking time to breathe in some fresh air. Just breathing in more fresh air can make you feel better. Certainly, taking time to take more walks is a great way when one is starting out a lifestyle change to include more exercise. If you walk, say -- 4-5 times a week -- you'll feel the difference in your sense of well-being and your body awareness. Perhaps, your weight will drop, if you need to lose fat weight. Alternating your pace from brisk walking for about 10 minutes to leisurely for 10-15 minutes, seems to enable one's heart rate to prime your body into fat-burning mode. It IS a weight-bearing activity, so you also get the advantage of strengthening your bones. And, it's actually rather enjoyable -- taken alone whereby you can think and reflect (be sure you're in a safe area!) or taken with someone you love -- need I say more! So, DO IT! Take a walk and take in all the wonders of nature around you. It's free and it's FREE-ING!

Love this poem:


The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

No comments: